Hiking Timp

Holy cow. It’s been a long time since I’ve blogged. I have so many posts I need to catch up on! I use this blog solely as my journal now, so feel free to move right along.

In September, my friend Holly and I talked about potentially hiking Timp. We found another friend to join us so we’d be safe and quickly planned it. We were going to go later in the week but then moved it forward because of weather issues. Thank goodness we did it when we did because it snowed up there the next day!

We left around 12:30 am. Thankfully I took a little nap before we left, I think it really helped me that day. We started around 1:15 am or so and were the only ones up there that night so far except for two other girls. We all had head lamps and I brought a bright flashlight. Packing for the hike was so funny because I packed sunglasses, a tank top, but also a winter hat, gloves, and my puffer coat. We were expecting cold weather up at the top but then hot weather on our hike down in the morning.

We got to the saddle about an hour and a half before sunrise so we chilled up at the top for a bit, had a little snack, then climbed to the top making it to the summit just a few minutes before sunrise. It was one of the most epic experiences of my life seeing the sunrise from nearly 12k feet on the top of a mountain. It was difficult… it’s 7 miles! Plus, dealing with the altitude and scaling the top in the dark was scary, but once I was up there, it was all worth it!

On the way down, we met a man who does the hike several times a week, sometimes twice in one day. He’s in his 70s and pretty much a rockstar. We also saw some women who ran the whole thing. So, I no longer think I’m in shape anymore compared to those ladies haha!

Doing it at night was really neat because the whole hike back was almost like a different hike since we could finally see everything. The views were absolutely beautiful, the weather was PERFECT, and the company was even better. We laughed SO much and told so many stories. It was a great hike, and if it didn’t take so long, I’d do it every couple of weeks! Thanks, Holly for leading us!


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *