Finn’s Birth Story

The Monday before Finn’s due date, I rescheduled my doctor appointment for that day so I could see if there was anything happening. I tried not to get my hopes up, but the weekend before I had bad back cramps and felt nauseous. When the doctor told me I was progressing enough that he’d induce me that week if I wanted, I decided to go for it. So, on the 18th (the day after his due date), we got up bright and early and headed to the hospital. We dropped Eva off at my in-laws on our way then checked into the Orem Community Hospital around 7 am.

By 8 am, they had started me on petocin, and then at 9 I got my epidural. I felt a little weird getting it that early because I literally was in zero pain, but it made the experience so amazing since I never felt really sick. The nurse would keep asking me what my pain level was and for the most part I just said a 1?

While we waited for things to start happening, we napped and went through the baby name book because we still hadn’t decided on a name. Finn and Tanner were the two frontrunners but we hadn’t decided on any middle names and still weren’t in LOVE with anything at that point.

Around 10, they broke my water which felt like an ocean… very strange. I still wasn’t experiencing pain, then at 11, I was dilated to a 5 which was smaller than I had hoped, but I was still comfortable. Around noon, I definitely was feeling more crampy so I had them give me a little more epidural. The more the merrier, right? And I kept clicking on that epidural button every 20 minutes. But within an hour I was to an 8, and then at 12:30 almost there! The extra drugs kicked in so I was feeling great and they told me around 1 that I could start pushing as soon as the doctor came, so like in 15 minutes.

At that point, I texted the parents and in-laws that it was almost time. But then the nurse informed me the doctor had left to go to a C-Section and so we just had to wait for him to get back. I was fine with it, although I was a little eager to get my baby out. But because I felt good, I just chewed on ice and took lots of naps. I forgot to update my mom though and so after a couple hours going by without any news she was getting so worried! I was just napping, sorry!

The doctor got in around 3:15 and had me do about three pushes but he was making me laugh so much, that I actually got to stop pushing and just laugh (yep, you read that right) and within a couple minutes of laughing (all the nurses were laughing too which made me laugh harder… I mean, who laughs during labor?!?), I had literally LAUGHED my baby out of me. It was easy and amazing and perfect. Just perfect. I was instantly in love when I saw that sweet baby of mine. He had a head full of hair and weighed 9 pounds, 4 ounces! Wow! It was a good thing I didn’t wait any longer to be induced!

It was such an easier labor that with Eva’s, which I am so grateful for. I also got a blessing from TJ and his dad the night before which really helped to give me the peace and strength I needed to deliver Mr. Finn. I’m so grateful it was such a positive and healthy experience… maybe I’ll do it again one day!

More pictures to come!

Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 10.00.07 PM Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 9.59.07 PM Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 10.05.33 PM Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 10.06.12 PM

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *